"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

James Stevens James.Stevens@jrcs.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 10:04:47 1998

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I personally think that it is a miracle that Don maintains basically all
> the ethernet drivers in use in Linux today, and if he can only do so by
> being conservative and by trying to share the largest amount possible of
> internal code, then it is a small price to pay.
>
> And let us not forget -- each and every one of us has the source.  If
> there is a feature you would like to see added, or a bug you would like
> to squash, feel free!  I've tried to help Don out in the past (sometimes
> usefully, sometimes not:-) and I know he is very receptive to outside
> contributions and bug fixes.  It's not like we're paying him for help so
> we should feel entitled to receive it...although I personally plan to
> buy him a beer the first chance I get!

Robert, you are absolutly right. I can not agree more, however, I don't
have access to Intel documentation, and don't have a clue how to get it
(I have asked). I'm just about at my wits end on this one and to me the
EEPro-100 driver is useless.

It is obviuosly somthing to do with the exact way the chip has been
implemented in the unit I am trying to use, but I just don't know where
to start.

At the end of the day I'm not paying anything for the drivers / support
(although I have offered to) and what you say embodies the whole concept
of Linux and GNU, "You have the source so fix it yourself"; but (and
mine is a BIG "BUT", ha ha ha), I just feel so lost I don't know where
to start, I have no experience in this field.

James