[netatalk-admins] AppleTalk crashes EEPro100 on a bonded etherchannel

Albert Max Lai amlai@columbia.edu
Tue Nov 24 12:20:45 1998

On 24 Nov 1998, Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:
I have a similar config:
dual 350MHz P-II with 1 Intel EEPro100 onboard
kernel versions 2.0.35, 2.0.36, 2.0.128
driver versions 1.06 and 0.99B.
Netatalk versions 1.4b2+asun2.1.0 and 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.

I have a similar problem. If I don't set the module option
multicast_filter_limit=0, I crash the local network here (router starts
resetting my port, I hog all the bandwidth, etc.). When I set that module
option under 2.0.35/2.0.36, when xntpd starts up, I get a Transmit timed
out and then the ethernet layer gets reset. After that, it works. My guess
is that there seems to be something still wrong with the multicast filter.
Other than that it seems to work great.

> Hardware: 350MHz P-II with two Intel EEPro100's, connected to a Cisco
> Catalyst 2924XL on both ports.
> Software: Linux 2.0.36 with Beowulf channel bonding patch, eepro100
> driver versions 0.99B and 1.04 tested. Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.0.
> Problem:
>
> With only one interface enabled and the switch in a standard
> configuration, the system works normally (after the
> multicast_filter_limit=3 workaround for the eepro100 bug).
>
> However, I soon notice that the machine's entire ethernet layer starts
> crashing. The error is familiar from the multicast debugging: "kernel:
> eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000." All network
> traffic stops for 10-20 seconds, Linux notices something is wrong,
> resets the ethernet layer, and things work again for a minute or two
> until the same repeats.

                                                 \\\|||///
                                                 |       |
                                                (  @   @  )
********************************************oooO****(_)****Oooo*********
* Albert Lai         SEAS Columbia University                          *
* Residential Computer Consultant                                      *
* e-mail: amlai@columbia.edu     http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61        *
*         aml61@columbia.edu     http://amlai3.ec.rhno.columbia.edu    *
* AOL:    LaiAlbert@aol.com                                            *
* 1018D East Campus                                                    *
* 411 W 116th St                                                       *
* New York, NY 10027                            .oooO                  *
* Ph: (212)853-4854                             (   ) Oooo.            *
                                                  \_)  ) /
                                                      (_/