Problems with eepro100 driver on a SMP machine.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 26 12:10:56 1998

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Carlos Pina Soares wrote:

>   I recently installed a linux box, where I compiled the last pre
> 2.0.36 version with SMP support.
>   - Dual pentium II 300MHz, 440LX chipset.
>   The problem is, when I put the machine in a little stress, say for
> instance launching netscape, or simply invoking cpio to copy things
> from one place to another, the following message starts appearing on
> the console and never stops, thus blocking completely the machine:
>
>   eth0: SMP simultaneous entry on an interrupt handler.

This is a SMP interrupt dispatch bug where the driver is called
simultaneously.

If you are running v0.99B, update to v1.03
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/eepro100.c

This updated version does not fix the SMP bug (it can't -- the real bug is
not in the driver), but it does avoid repeatedly emitting the error message.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html