Announce: bproc-0.2.0

Erik Arjan Hendriks hendriks@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 12 18:07:57 1999

I just put up bproc version 0.2.0.  The big news with this one is the
addition of Alpha support.  It's available from:

http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/bproc-0.2.0.tar.gz
ftp://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/software/bproc-0.2.0.tar.gz

Here's the change log entry for this release:

Changes from 0.1.1 to 0.2.0

        * Added Alpha support for bproc and vmadump!  Alpha vmadump is
        lacking the extra binfmt for dump files.

        * Changed /proc handling so that things like ps wont block forever
        if a slave node doesn't respond with status.

        * vmadump: i386: added code to save FPU state.  (previously, FPU
        state was unsaved.) (this is currently untested)

        * vmadump: Fixed a possible security issue with undumping signal
        handler state.

        * struct siginfo handling cleaned up so there should be no more
        problems w/ glibc headers.  Ever.  (The Alpha port led to more
        less-solvable problems.  That'll teach me to use kernel structs
        in user space.)

        * Updated kernel/vmad.magic to recognize alpha dumps.

        * Added idea of a node map to libbproc.  A list of node numbers in
        $HOME/.bprocnodes will become the application's nodes 0 -> n-1

        * Some syscall #'s changed... libraries will likely have to be
        re-built.

        * Added documentation.  There is a user's guide and the beginnings
        of a document about the internals of bproc.

- Erik
Erik Hendriks
hendriks@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov