[Beowulf] immersion

Michael DiDomenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:38:12 UTC 2024

thanks, there's some good info in there.  just to be clear to others that
might chime in i'm less interested in the immersion/dlc debate, then
getting updates from people that have sat on either side of the fence.
dlc's been around awhile and so has immersion, but what i can't get from
sales glossy's is real world maintenance over time.

being in the DoD space, i'm well aware of the HPE stuff, but they're also
whats making me look at other stuff.  i'm not real keen on +100kw racks,
there are many safety concerns with that much amperage in a single
cabinet.  not to mention all that custom hardware comes at stiff cost and
in my opinion doesn't have a good ROI if you're not buying 100's of racks
worth of it.  but your space constrained issue is definitely one i'm
familiar with.  our new space is smaller then i think we should build, but
we're also geography constrained.

the other info i'm seeking is futures, DLC seems like a right now solution
to ride the AI wave.  i'm curious if others think DLC might hit a power
limit sooner or later, like Air cooling already has, given chips keep
climbing in watts.  and maybe it's not even a power limit per se, but DLC
is pretty complicated with all the piping/manifolds/connectors/CDU's, does
there come a point where its just not worth it unless it's a big custom
solution like the HPE stuff