[Beowulf] interconnect wars... again...

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jul 21 19:23:24 UTC 2023

> ugh, as someone who worked the front lines in the 00's i got front row
> seat to the interconnect mud slinging...  but franky if they're going
> to come out of the gate with a product named "Ultra Ethernet", i smell
> a loser... :) (sarcasm...)
>
> https://www.nextplatform.com/2023/07/20/ethernet-consortium-shoots-for-1-million-node-clusters-that-beat-infiniband/

Well, RoCE isn't a wonderful name, is it?

FWIW, this is a pretty reasonable paper:

https://ultraethernet.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2023/07/23.07.12-UEC-1.0-Overview-FINAL-WITH-LOGO.pdf

How about CXL-over-UltraEthernet?

Also, I'm interested to hear feedback about NV's recent moves in the direction
of collective offload.  The UE paper above doesn't really address that (only one
real mention of collectives, and sneering at Verbs in a few places...)

regards, mark hahn