[Beowulf] [External] Re: And wearing another hat ...

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Fri Dec 1 21:58:35 UTC 2023

On 11/13/23 9:11 PM, Daniel Keller wrote:
> I hate to admit it, but I guess that I fell for the idea that the Del
> Complex floating AI data center was a real project that was trying to
> get funding or was under development.  I saw stories about it in
> multiple usually reputable tech news sites over the course of an
> entire week, so that satisfied what I thought was a high enough bar
> for vetting, and it lead me astray.  With that said, compared to some
> of the crazy things that the crypto bros were actually doing during
> the height of the cryptocurrency bubbles, such as reactivating entire
> old power plants, filling the power plants with mining rigs, and then
> using the output of nearly the entire power plant just to power those
> rigs, floating data centers suddenly don't seem like an idea that is
> that incredibly outlandish for the current Generative A.I. boom.
> Besides, wasn't Microsoft also doing experimental testing of
> water-submerged containers filled with special water-cooled racks of
> Azure cloud servers to help find ways for cheaper cooling for
> high-density server systems? Anyway, thank you for the correction
> about how the BlueSea Frontier Compute Cluster is a well-crafted hoax
> or parody, and for the link to the Vice article about it!  It is
> appreciated!
>
> -Dan

Don't feel bad. It was a well done hoax. It was a Poe
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law). If it fooled professional
journalists, you've got nothing to be ashamed of.

My previous post definitely provided plenty of evidence that things like
this have been seriously talked about in the last.

Having said that, I'll probably still bust you about this if we ever
meet, cause I'm *that* guy. ;)

--
Prentice