[Beowulf] USB flash drive bootable distro to check cluster health.

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Fri Jan 11 16:03:14 PST 2019

Hi,

why USB? Why not PXE boot?

Back at the old workplace I had a PXE boot image installed on the headnode
which I used to install the new compute node and did debugging or testing.
If you don't want to install anything on the cluster: put that image on a USB
stick, boot it on the headnode and then boot the compute nodes. So everything
should run of the USB stick (headnode) and via the network (compute nodes in
PXE boot).

Depending on the cluster size I guess there are limits of how many compute
nodes you could run simultaneously.

Just an idea.

All the best from a dark London

Jörg