[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:50:21 PDT 2018

On 10/30/18 10:35 AM, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:

> On 10/29/2018 07:40 PM, Douglas Eadline wrote:

[...]

> Yeah, after I posted that, I read more on the topic, and the whole
> cloud thing was cited repeatedly. I just find it hard to believe IBM
> is going that way, as it seems antithetical to the direction they
> moved in a few years ago: selling off the x86 business because they
> wanted to get out of the commodity computing arena where there was too
> much competition and low margins and move into more specialized
> high-margin products. I consider cloud computing to be the ultimate
> form of commodity computing.

Which problem is IBM solving by buying RH?  Basically its a customer
base and market penetration, a set of standard software tools that are
the business defaults, and a cash cow support revenue stream.

IMO, this was a wise move for them.  It was a good move for RH.

I know there are many who think IBM will (eventually) destroy/mess up
RH.  This may (eventually) be.

However ... IBM would be loath to kill the goose that lays predictable
golden eggs every quarter.  More likely than not, RH will internally
"take over" some sections of IBM itself, to increase this cash cow.  IBM
management has been having a tough time turning a profit over the last
few years, even as the migrate more of their staff positions to India
and other lower HR cost geos.

The impact on CentOS will likely, initially, be minimal.  Though, I
fully expect that IBM will actually start enforcing the license language
that says that CentOS cannot be distributed in a commercial context.
They are not going to leave money on the table.

> And yes, those problems could have been solved for less than $34B, but
> how quickly and easily? It's not uncommon for one business to buy
> another to address a deficiency quickly, rather than building their
> own team from the ground up.

I disagree that they could have solved the problems for less. There is
always a cost to business decisions ... if you decide you really want to
solve this quick, and acquisition is the right path, you have to accept
that there are market forces that will help decide pricing for you.  Bid
too low, and someone will swoop in.  Bid too high, and your
board/shareholders will revolt and sue you.

All this said, Ubuntu LTS may be the only other (really) viable
alternative.  And I expect that their phone has been ringing with at
least 3 players I can imagine.