[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Oct 29 12:41:20 PDT 2018

IBM Support leaves a lot to be desired. Not necessarily in the technical
knowledge of their staff, but in how it's administered. I once spent
close to 4 weeks convincing IBM's GPFS support that I was entitled to
support for my GPFS system because it was considered a part of the Blue
Gene /P I was supporting at the time. I would call BG/P support, and
they'd tell me to call enterprise storage support. I'd call enterprise
storage support, and give them the S/N for my GPFS system, and they
wouldn't be able to find it in their system, since my support was tied
to the BG/P S/N, So I'd give them the BG/P S/N. Then they'd tell me to
call BG/P support, and the cycle would start all over again. Once i
stopped that t merry-go-round and actually spoke to tech support, they
identified the problem and fixed it in literally seconds.

To be fair, I had a similar problem with Cisco, and that too 18 months
(!) to resolve, whereas IBM fixed this in 4 weeks.

Prentice