[Beowulf] Hacked MBs It was only a matter of time

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 4 09:06:05 PDT 2018

I think it's also safe to assume that activating the hardware implants
would be done only for extraordinarily high value targets as widespread
use would almost guarantee that someone would eventually notice, capture
and study the traffic no matter how well it was hidden and thus blow up
an incredibly expensive multi-year scheme.

I wonder given how widely the hardware was seeded if these things are
silent by default and only checkin to the C&C server when activated by
some secondary means like a weird broadcast packet or quickie port knock
or even some other super stealthy recon trigger