[Beowulf] Bright Cluster Manager

Jeff White jeff.white at wsu.edu
Wed May 2 12:52:41 PDT 2018

I never used Bright.  Touched it and talked to a salesperson at a
conference but I wasn't impressed.

Unpopular opinion: I don't see a point in using "cluster managers"
unless you have a very tiny cluster and zero Linux experience.  These
are just Linux boxes with a couple applications (e.g. Slurm) running on
them.  Nothing special. xcat/Warewulf/Scyld/Rocks just get in the way
more than they help IMO.  They are mostly crappy wrappers around free
software (e.g. ISC's dhcpd) anyway.  When they aren't it's proprietary
trash.

I install CentOS nodes and use
Salt/Chef/Puppet/Ansible/WhoCares/Whatever to plop down my configs and
software.  This also means I'm not suck with "node images" and can
instead build everything as plain old text files (read: write SaltStack
states), update them at will, and push changes any time.  My "base
image" is CentOS and I need no "baby's first cluster" HPC software to
install/PXEboot it.  YMMV

Jeff White