[Beowulf] Working for DUG, new thead

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue Jun 19 11:47:00 PDT 2018

On 06/13/2018 10:32 PM, Joe Landman wrote:

> I'm curious about your next gen plans, given Phi's roadmap.
>

> On 6/13/18 9:17 PM, Stu Midgley wrote:
>> low level HPC means... lots of things.  BUT we are a huge Xeon Phi
>> shop and need low-level programmers ie. avx512, careful cache/memory
>> management (NOT openmp/compiler vectorisation etc).
>
> I played around with avx512 in my rzf code.
> https://github.com/joelandman/rzf/blob/master/avx2/rzf_avx512.c> Never really spent a great deal of time on it, other than noting that
> using avx512 seemed to downclock the core a bit on Skylake.

If you organize your code correctly, and call the compiler with the
right optimization flags, shouldn't the compiler automatically handle a
good portion of this 'low-level' stuff? I understand that hand-coding
this stuff usually still give you the best performance (See
GotoBLAS/OpenBLAS, for example), but does your average HPC programmer
trying to get decent performance need to hand-code that stuff, too?