[Beowulf] Project Natick

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:58:06 PDT 2018

Thinking about submarines, I mentioned a UK secure site on another thread.
That site may or may not have been something to do with submarines.
I have never been on board a submarine, however if I was faced with the
problem of cooling on board one I would shy away from what that article
implies,
ie opening holes in the pressure hull and pumping water around, even if you
are heat exchanging with sea water and distilled water in the actual racks.
I would think about something using the pressure hull as the radiator and
using natural convection.
Then again, those pcitures show a smooth metal cylinder, with nothing
looking like fins or radiators on the side.
But to me introducing valves into the side of a structure underwater is
just asking for failure.
Maybe the seawater enters a heat exchanger interior  which is completely
sealed off from the rest of the structure.