[Beowulf] OT, X11 editor which works well for very remote systems?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:08:50 PDT 2018

> Makes me think.  1st workshop. Can’t ever be the first time this question
has been asked. Also David, absolutely not OT. Very much on topic.

Maybe...
For my contribution if you use Windows then MobaXterm is an excellent tool.
IT wraps up Putty, VNC, Cygwin X server etc. etc in one package.

For accessing remote systems I have used the following:

VirtualGL - to be honest I dint think much of this. Hard to set up, and you
had to 'vglrun  application'. I know this can be a wrapper.
To be fair, one place where I worked really favoured it.

NICE DCV - absolutely simple to set up, works great and is transparent to
users. You can enable and disable it easily also.

Teradici PCOIP - I used the hardware version of PCOIP with cards in
workstations and zero (thin) clients on desks.
Works great. Completely transparent to users. If you are working in a
secure environment then you should really, really look at this.
I had one customer who was working at a UK secure site. He had a cluster
room, and a small room next door with Windows PCs.
He would have to walk over to work on the PCs as they were not connected to
his office network.
First time I visited the site I recommended Teradici and they were a great
success - the card/terminals have options for fibre connections
which are again used on many secure sites.