[Beowulf] FPGA storage accelerator

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 18:42:47 PDT 2018

Ha! "Then maybe, just maybe, perhaps 640 PB ought to be enough. Maybe."

Back in 2005 or so, we had these little USB connected FPGA that we were
using for various annotation tools.  I remember one for BLAST, and doing
HMMer on GPUs.  I seem to remember shocking the person from NVidia at
SC2006 on the performance of the whole GPU HMMer app.  They were busy
talking about kernels getting 10-30x performance gain, and we had a
whole app that did that.

That was the tail end of my time trying to raise money to build
accelerators.  Good times.