[Beowulf] Lustre Upgrades

Lux, Jim (337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 27 06:06:20 PDT 2018

William Henry Dana – “Two Years Before the Mast” – An excellent book describing what it was like to be a sailor in the days just before steam, there’s plenty of climbing the rigging in a sleet storm, while trying to round Cape Horn. – but when they got to California, the weather was a lot nicer.  Dana later went on to be a lawyer fighting for sailor’s rights.

Silicon valley wasn’t very developed when Dana was doing his shipboard duties, and there weren’t any disk drives at the time.

They *did*, however, have parallel cluster computing – rooms full of computers grinding out navigation tables.  And I suppose they were commodity computers, using commodity interconnects (of the day), so could they fairly be called a Beowulf.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/06/the-women-behind-the-jet-propulsion-laboratory/482847/ describes a 1953 version of the same.