[Beowulf] New Spectre attacks - no software mitigation - what impact for HPC?

Jonathan Engwall engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:42:58 PDT 2018

Docker claims to have patches which have no degradation in performance:
https://success.docker.com/article/how-does-spectre-meltdown-affect-my-docker-installs
Here is an interesting video about making a simple container and what that
container might do:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Utf-A4rODH8&t=900s
I am not saying this solves any issue. It is only a current software
direction. It could be significant because there is a low level exchange of
information to these vulnerabilities, in the video (she does not use docker
by the way) she basically tells her OS to lie about the contents of her
directory.
It is a direction of interesting development. You could for example isolate
a job within a container which carries all sorts of fakery.
Jonathan