[Beowulf] New Spectre attacks - no software mitigation - what impact for HPC?

Scott Atchley e.scott.atchley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:07:21 PDT 2018

Hi Chris,

They say that no announced silicon is vulnerable. Your link makes it clear
that no ISA is immune if the implementation performs speculative execution.
I think your point about two lines of production may make sense. Vendors
will have to assess vulnerabilities and the performance trade-off.

Personally, I do not see a large HPC system being built out of
non-speculative hardware. You would need much more hardware to reach a
level of performance and the additional power could lead to a lower
performance per Watt (i.e., exceed the facility's power budget).

Scott