[Beowulf] HPC workflows

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:35:07 PST 2018

I think you do a better job explaining the underpinnings of my frustration
with it all, but then arrive at a slightly different set of conclusions.
I'd be the last to say autotools isn't complex, in fact pretty much all
build systems eventually reach an astounding level of complexity. But I'm
not sure copy/paste of an autotools recipe is any more egregious than a
copy/paste of cmake or any others. That seems to be the first step to
learning how anything works, so I accept that it'll happen a lot with
anything. Credit for a huge portion of my limited success is owed to
copy/paste from stack overflow of things I didn't understand at first, so I
can't really throw rocks at the practice. People tend to dig as deep as
they need to to get something to work and then wander off unless they are
getting paid to keep digging or just like a particular hole.

Certainly the inability of distros to find the person-hours to package
everything plays a role as well, your cause and effect chain there is
pretty accurate. Where I begin to branch is at the idea of software that is
unable to be packaged in an rpm/deb. This is where our collective computing
train goes off the rails. Reaching a point where something is too
complicated to package with a set of tools which have the ability to run
*any arbitrary set of commands* and concluding the solution is to invent a
new set of tools/abstractions to run *any arbitrary set of commands* is the
derailing step. Worse, with containers that set of arbitrary commands
generally starts out by running "apt-get install ...", a precarious
dependency for an abstraction layer whose primary claim to fame is getting
past the limitations of those same commands.

I'll rephrase my earlier complaint about the rise of these abstractions as
"I can't figure out how to write spec files so I'll create a new
build/distribution system" which is, basically, a variation on the classic
argument from ignorance. Maybe that has merit if these new tools turned out
to actually be simpler and easier, but to date that hasn't been the case.
The water just keeps getting muddier.

The thing we can never measure and thus can only speculate about forever
is:  if all the person-hours poured into containers (and pypi/pip and cran
and cpan and maven and scons and ...) had been poured into rpm/deb
packaging would we just be simply apt/yum/dnf installing what we needed
today? (I'm ignoring other OS/packaging tools, but you get the idea.) We
can't run that experiment, but I suspect that it isn't a limitation of
rpm/deb to be able to package so much as it is that there is no incentive
to package in rpm/deb, but there is an incentive to invent/monetize new
abstraction layers. It doesn't hurt that humans crave novelty, so new is
always more appealing than old and without a good grasp of the old it's
impossible to properly evaluate the new relative to it. How does the old
quote go, "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
I look forward to ever more complex methods to package containers once we
have containers that are too complex to deliver as containers. Our only
real hope is that eventually human language will run out of metaphors to
use when monetizing the next big abstraction.

griznog