[Beowulf] HPC Workflows

m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl
Sat Dec 1 00:33:02 PST 2018

Yeah, I often thing some people are using the letters HPC as in 'high
profile computing' nowadays. The diluting effect I mentoined a few posts
ago.

Actually LOT of HPC admin folks I know are scientists, scientificly active
and tightly coupled to scientists in groups and they were doing DevOps
even before it got that fancy name.

Here at my uni I find it is *regular* IT that needed and is (indeed in a
strange herdy way) adjusting to the pace and workings of scientists and
science. They are using old concepts that have recently relabeled into
configuration management or stack deployments etc. (as if we used to
install them hundreds of HPC nodes all by hand or something?) Things there
get re introduced by them commercial-here-is-my-bill-consultants with a
fancy gui klickemy-thingy oh and an icon. Let me tell you, now they are
doing them stand up comedy things there with their scum mates every day
and are talking about 'fragile' software and saying things like 'moving
fast breaking things' ?!

Ha, all i can say is i am keeping my distance there cause there is a lot
of branding and marketing buzzword speak involved and it is giving me a
rash ! Back to running my Molecular Quantum Dynamics I am.

m.

--
mark somers
tel: +31715274437