[Beowulf] Varying performance across identical cluster nodes.

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Sep 13 10:48:24 PDT 2017

Okay, based on the various responses I've gotten here and on other
lists, I feel I need to clarify things:

This problem only occurs when I'm running our NFSroot based version of
the OS (CentOS 6). When I run the same OS installed on a local disk, I
do not have this problem, using the same exact server(s).  For testing
purposes, I'm using LINPACK, and running the same executable  with the
same HPL.dat file in both instances.

Because I'm testing the same hardware using different OSes, this
(should) eliminate the problem being in the BIOS, and faulty hardware.
This leads me to believe it's most likely a software configuration
issue, like a kernel tuning parameter, or some other software
configuration issue.

These are Supermicro servers, and it seems they do not provide CPU
temps. I do see a chassis temp, but not the temps of the individual
CPUs. While I agree that should be the first thing I look at, it's not
an option for me. Other tools like FLIR and Infrared thermometers aren't
really an option for me, either.

What software configuration, either a kernel a parameter, configuration
of numad or cpuspeed, or some other setting, could affect this?

Prentice