[Beowulf] LXD containers for cluster services and cgroups?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 15 03:06:21 PDT 2017

I'm not sure this post is going to make a lot of sense. But please bear
with me!
For applications containers are possible using Singularity or Docker of
course.

In HPC clusters we tend to have several 'service node' activities, such as
the cluster management/ head node, perhaps separate provisioning nodes to
spread the load, batch queue system masters, monitoring setups, job
submission and dedicated storage nodes.

These can all of course be run on a single cluster head node in a small
setup (with the exception of the storage nodes).  In a larger setup you can
run these services in virtual machines.

What I am asking is anyone using technologies such as LXD containers to run
these services?
I was inspired by an Openstack talk by James Page at Canonical, where all
the Opestack services were deployed by Juju charms onto LXD containers.
So we pack all the services into containers on physical server(s) which
makes moving them or re-deploying things very flexible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orzBITR3X8

While I'm talking abotu containers, is anyone deploying singularity
containers in cgroups, and limiting the resources they can use (I'm
specifically thinking of RDMA here).

ps. I have a terrible sense of deja vu here... I think I asked the
Singularity question a month ago.
I plead insanity m'lord