[Beowulf] Register article on Epyc

jaquilina jaquilina at eagleeyet.net
Sun Jul 2 05:43:24 PDT 2017

What is everyone's thoughts on Intel new i9 cpus as these boast significant jump in core count

Sent from Samsung tablet.-------- Original message --------From: Kilian Cavalotti <kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com> Date: 23/06/2017  05:21  (GMT+01:00) To: beowulf <Beowulf at beowulf.org> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Register article on Epyc
Oh, and at least the higher core-count SKUs like the 32-core 7251 are
actually 4 8-core dies linked together with a new "Infinity Fabric"
interconnect, not a single 32-core die. I completely missed that. And
it's fine, it probably makes sense from a yield perspective, but
behold the intra-socket inter-die NUMA effects. And sure enough, we'll
need yet another layer in the node-board-socket-core-thread conceptual
cake.

By the way, isn't actually what Intel was criticized for, when they
released their first quad-core Clovertown CPUs, back in 2007? I
remember some PR from AMD about those fake quad-core CPUs, which
really were just two dual-core glued together. Funny how tides turn...
:)

Cheers.
--
Kilian