[Beowulf] Mobos for portable use

John Hearns John.Hearns at xma.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 05:42:43 PST 2017

Jim,
no names, no pack drill.  I was having a mentoring session with my padewan last week.
We were building the NIST FDS Fire and Smoke simulator code.  I always think it is fun to see a burning sofa, which may tell you a bit about my mind.
Anyway, I digress. My padewan seemed a bit confused at the necessity to compile and link programs. The concept that the source code could not be directly
run on the system seemed
Bearing in mind he has done a university course in computer architecture, I asked "Well - tell me. How does a computer work?"
The answer came back "You run code".
I had expected at least a stab at an answer about binary, machine code, ALUs and instruction decoding.  (*)

(*) For modern processors I could not describe these to save my life. But like many in my generation I at least had a course which taught about an idealised architecture.