[Beowulf] Thoughts on git?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 09:14:38 PST 2017

I agree it is quite intimidating, but the basic version control features are pretty basic; if you don’t want to branch/merge, you don’t have to.  Neither do you have to do all the git pull/push to another git instance somewhere else.

You can do basic version control on an entire directory with just two commands:

git init

to start controlling the directory and its contents and

git commit –a

each time you want to save the current state into the repository.  At this point you’ve got the same functionality as old-school rcs, plus the ability to deal with removing, adding and renaming files.

Others have already been eloquent about good reasons to use git in a more sophisticated way, so I won’t repeat what they’ve said.

git is something you’re going to be forced to use though, anyway, in other contexts.  If you want to participate in pretty much any open source project now, you do kind of need to know some basic git stuff.  I am by no means a git expert (I don’t know what re-base actually means, for example)

One thing I started doing recently was deploying a containerised application, the source of which lives on github.  I need to make some changes to the docker configuration to make it work in our network environment, so I have some local customisations in a branch.  Pulling down new versions from upstream is now pretty simple (and I’ve had to do that every couple of weeks recently).  Manually re-making my changes would be a PITA, but I don’t have to do that because git merge does it for me.  I’m probably doing it wrong, but updating the system for me becomes a matter of:

git checkout master
git pull
git checkout sanger_prod
git merge master
# check it all worked
git commit –m “Merged upstream for <reason>”
docker-compose up -d --build

Not too painful.

Tim