[Beowulf] How to know if infiniband network works?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 3 09:37:45 PDT 2017

Hi Faraz

+1 to John's suggestion of joining the Open MPI list.
Your questions are now veering towards Open MPI specifics,
and you will get great feedback on this topic there.

If you want to use TCP/IP instead of RDMA
(say, IPoIB or Gigabit Ethernet cards),
you can use it if you tell Open MPI not to use openib
(--mca btl ^openib).

You can specify the interfaces to use also.
Please, see these Open MPI FAQ:

https://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tcp#tcp-selection

These could be your IPoIB interfaces (ib0 or the corresponding subnet
addresses), or Ethernet.

Worth looking also at the FAQ about Infiniband:
https://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics

Verbosity can be turned on with mca parameters that you can find with:

ompi-info --all |grep verbose

btl_base_verbose is a good start.

Note that Open MPI also uses network interfaces for the
startup, manage, and wrapup communications.
This uses another framework, "out of band" (oob), separate from the
"btl" (byte transport layer), with a corresponding
set of mca paramters that look like this: "--mca oob ..."

Overall their FAQ have very good information, as does the
README file in their tarball.
https://www.open-mpi.org/faq/
https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/blob/master/README

I hope this helps,