[Beowulf] User notification of new software on the cluster

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:02:52 PDT 2016

I wanted to ask how people announce new versions of software that has been installed on their cluster to their user base.
Web page, email, motd, etc.

We've done that, but we've also recently had a request from a user to be notified only when specific software/packages change or when newer versions are installed.
We're looking to implement that somewhat like a google alert, where the user can register some keywords to search for, and
a cron job would search our change logs, and email the users what they had expressed an interest in.
Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks.

rgt

Whitehead Network/System Administrator