[Beowulf] immersion cooling - Re: bring back 2012?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 7 06:14:12 PDT 2016

I have run oil cooled (and Fluorinert, similar to Novec, too) equipment.
Stu’s points are well taken, but the engineering challenges are substantial, if you don’t want a mess.  (capillary flow through wires, arghh)
And I can guarantee that your first few prototypes will make a mess, so learn how to clean up that spilled coolant

I think that from an engineering standpoint, dunking an assembly in a bucket is actually easier than trying to plumb little tiny spot coolers. The leak probability is proportional to the number of hoses and connections.

One early decision you’ll need to make is about replaceability and serviceability.  If you can just over provision and leave dead nodes in the tank, then this probably isn’t as much an issue.  These days, “swapping parts” is something we just don’t do. Nobody upgrades a processor on an existing mobo any more.

There’s also the regulatory/architectural/infrastructure issues – it’s one thing to have a small tank full of a few gallons of oil stashed in your lab, another to have a data center with 1000 nodes with thousands of gallons.  That scale is going to require things like special containment barriers in the event of a leak(you’ve probably seen the concrete curb or berm around outdoor storage tanks), signage for emergency responders, procedures for emergency response, etc.  None of this is difficult, but it’s “out of the ordinary”, and so, will require more work than “install a standard data center”

Novec and similar engineered fluids are pretty expensive compared to oil. Last time I priced mineral oil in large lots (1000 gallons) it was in the $2-3/gallon range (basically, twice the per bbl price of crude oil).