[Beowulf] Dirty COW fix for RHEL 6.x

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Oct 27 21:30:34 PDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 04:06:26PM -0700, Kilian Cavalotti wrote:

> 2. the only supported release is the latest one, meaning that if you
> have to stay on say CentOS 6.7 for whatever reason, you don't get a
> kernel with the Dirty COW fix. And that is obviously a problem.

This is a good time to remind everyone that CentOS 6.7 isn't the same
as RHEL 6.7. When you pay Red Hat, they'll provide security patches
when you stay with non-tip point releases. CentOS only provides
packages for the tip, so, if you aren't on the tip (6 tip is currently
6.8), you're missing security fixes for a lot more things than just
Dirty COW.

Yeah, I used to be one of the vendors, and I was sad that we never got
close to providing good support for CentOS tip. I'm not surprised
that it's still a problem 9 years later.

-- greg