[Beowulf] Generation of strings MPI fashion..

John Hearns John.Hearns at xma.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 15:04:06 PDT 2016

This sounds interesting.

I would question this step though, as it seems intrinically a bottlneck:
> Removes duplicate lines:
> $ sort filename.txt | uniq

First off - do you need a sorted list?  If not do not perform the sort...

Secondly - how efficient is the Unix 'uniq' utility?
How about, every time you generate a string, check if it has already been generated.  I guess this then starts to depend on the efficiency of searching through a file.

Thinking about this problem, would it be better to allocate each MPI rank a unique set of string to generate?
Say there are N characters in the set A-Z a-z 0-9 plus symbols . This is likely to be 255 as I'm assuming you are talking the ASCII character set.
So then if you have 256  MPI ranks then allocate rank 1 to generate all strings commencing with 'A'  then rank 2 'B' etc.
If you are lucky enough to have 256x256 cores to allocate then it goes 'AA' 'AB' 'AC'  etc. etc.

Which further makes me think - why generate random strings in the first place? If you want a sorted list, then set the MPI ranks off to generate sequential strings,
and as I say make sure there is no duplicated effort somehow by allocating unique subsections to each rank.
All you have to do is gather in the already sorted lists at the end, starting at AA , AB etc etc
This is quite thought provoking - maybe the random approach IS more efficient ???

Thinking further though, if you have processors with AVX externsions then is there an efficient way to bring those to bear on the problem - 256 and 512 vector lengths mapping rather well to ASCII 255 characters.

I know this is an exercise in learning MPI, but I also idly winder if the Micron Automata could do this rather well
http://www.micronautomata.com/