[Beowulf] cluster os

Rémi Palancher remi at rezib.org
Mon May 23 01:23:02 PDT 2016

Le 20/05/2016 à 22:40, Andrew M.A. Cater a écrit :
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 09:42:25AM +1000, Christopher Samuel wrote:
>> We're tied to RHEL due to hardware vendor support requirements. :-/
>>

> This is the sort of thing that gets you: mass storage, high performance
> interconnects and so on are often only supported by drivers for Red Hat
> base OS versions, sometimes even tied to specific kernel versions.

Well, while it used to be true in the past, but it's not that true
anymore. We are a debian shop and vendors now offer official support:

- IBM for GPFS
- others for Lustre
- Mellanox for their drivers and OFED stack
- Intel for compilers and HPC libraries (and they promise for OPA)
- HW support from major vendors

I admit it is not always totally seamless, we still face issues with L1
HW support that usually expect report from tools designed for RHEL
typically but we always get good results at the end.

Best,
Rémi