[Beowulf] Detecting binaries that are limited to an architecture?

Carlos Fenoy minibit at gmail.com
Fri May 6 02:32:12 PDT 2016

Hi,

Here you have a more updated version of the script. This one supports up to
AVX2, although it will not tell you exactly the CPU version it is
compatible with.

https://github.com/wpoely86/scripts/blob/master/analyze-x86

Regards,
Carlos

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 7:06 AM, Carsten Aulbert <Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 05.05.2016 22:51, Paul McIntosh wrote:
>
> > We have /usr/local mounted across nodes with some Intel Xeon X5650
> > (Westmere) and some E5-2670 (SandyBridge). Some code spits out "Illegal
> > Instruction" when run on the old nodes and it appears to be due to
> hitting
> > shared libraries compiled on the newer nodes. We are going to have a
> similar
> > situation on the newer clusters also.
> >

> some years ago I accidentally found this here
>
> https://github.com/rozcietrzewiacz/home/blob/master/scripts/analyse-x86.sh
>
> which "simply" wades through all instructions and spits out for which
> target platform the binary is ok.
>
> Given that this is 4yrs old and I had to apply a small fix about
> variable naming (I think/attached) it will most certainly not find all
> edge cases, but may already help to get started.
>
> Cheers
>
> Carsten

Carles Fenoy