[Beowulf] curiosity killed the cat

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jun 2 09:36:17 PDT 2016

Yes, I'm pleased that several companies have adopted message rate as a
metric, although I'm also sad that some have gamed the benchmark with
message coalescing.

N1/2 was intended to say something about the shape of the
bandwidth-by-message-size curve. The smaller it is, the farther
you can go with strong scaling.

Historically I had lobbied for people to publish N1/2 Linpack numbers,
never got anywhere with that. N1/2 and message rate were my attempt to
update the usual "bandwidth and latency" microbenchmarks to something
with more meaning.