[Beowulf] Netapp EF540 password reset

dave.bond at diamond.ac.uk dave.bond at diamond.ac.uk
Fri Aug 26 06:01:50 PDT 2016

Hi All,

We have a Netapp EF540 that has a management password set.  Long story short I would like to reset the management password where the original is not known.  Currently connecting over serial I have the ability to enter the Service interface.  But I do not have any details or credentials for this.  I believe the process is as follows:

For 6.xx Controller Firmware releases:

  1.  Exit SANtricity and/or any active SMCli session.
  2.  Log in to the controller shell using rlogin or a serial connection (either controller works).
-> loadDebug
-> clearSYMbolPassword
-> unld “ffs:Debug”
  3.  When the GUI is re-launched, it will be accessible and no longer password-protected.

 For 7.xx and 8.xx Controller Firmware releases:

  1.  Exit the GUI and run the following shell commands on the Controller:
-> loadDebug
-> setSAPassword_MT ""
-> unld "Debug"
This will set the password to an empty string.
  2.  Remove the array from the Enterprise Management Window and re-add it.
When the GUI is re-launched, it will be accessible and no longer password-protected.
  3.  Re-access the array.

Would anyone be able to confirm this and / or let me know the service password?

Regards

Dave