[Beowulf] Parallel programming for Xeon Phis

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Aug 24 07:08:43 PDT 2016

On 08/24/2016 09:51 AM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> his is an old article, but it's relevant to the recent discussion on
> programming for Xeon Phis, 'code modernization', and the speedups
> 'code modernization' can provide.
>
> https://www.hpcwire.com/2015/08/24/cosmos-team-achieves-100x-speedup-on-cosmology-code/

Nice to see that the algorithmic shift is given the level of exposure it
was.

Basically, when you need to extract more performance out of a code base,
you need to see where in your code it is spending the time. Then ask
yourself why you are doing things that way.

Sometimes the answer is pretty interesting, other times, it has to do
with development inertia ("we've always done it that way").

Not quite technical debt, but more of an algorithmic debt accumulation.

Note that system architectures tend to change over decade long time
spans, so large vector machines gave way to large SMPs which gave way to
clusters of small SMPs which gave way to ...

There is no single way to optimize for all of these, and algorithms that
might work well on large vector machines won't work so well on small SMP
clusters ... etc.