[Beowulf] bring back 2012?

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Fri Aug 19 07:25:48 PDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 10:02 AM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Stu Midgley <sdm900 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-2600-v3-dugeo-insight-demo.html
>> http://insidehpc.com/2014/11/intel-xeon-phi-takes-downunder-geosolutions-new-depths/
>> http://www.grcooling.com/team-member/downunder-geosolutions/
> thanks for the links....
>
> are you guys using oil immersed cooling?  i've been tracking it for
> years, but it still seems like it would make a big mess
I've ranted on the impracticalities of immersion cooling in mineral oil
on here many times in the past, so I won't rehash those arguments again
today. Suffice it to say I'm pretty sure the guys at Green Revolution
Cooling hate seeing me at SC.

I think direct contact liquid cooling (DCLC)solutions from Asetek and
CoolIT are much more practical, as are immersion cooling systems using
3M Novec engineered fluid. Novec is really appealing because of the heat
transfer efficiency of the change of state. I believe it was originally
designed as an electronic parts cleaner, too. It evaporates at room temp
like other electronic cleaners, so when you pull hardware out the
liquid, it's dry in a matter of seconds, and very clean, too! Much more
practical than mineral oil in that regard. 3M claims it has a very low
global warming factor, too.

Personally, I think DCLC since any leaks in the data center should be
smaller than if a tank-like chassis springs a leak, and there one is
scared of the environmental impact of water, even when antifreeze and
other water treatment chemicals are added to it, as would be needed in
this use case.

--
Prentice