[Beowulf] HPC in the cloud question

Nathan Pimental nathansaint1 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:08:44 PDT 2015

Haha, I offer the usage of my two computer Beowulf cluster up 'as a
service'. I guess it makes sense, though, as data centers cost a bit, and
everything that costs a bit of money gets turned into a service...eg. R&D
labs, etc.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Prentice Bisbal <
prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On 05/10/2015 02:47 PM, John Hearns wrote:
>
>> This article might be interesting:
>>

>> http://www.information-age.com/technology/data-centre-and-it-infrastructure/123459441/inside-uks-first-collaborative-data-centre
>>
>> As it says 'Data-centre-as-a-service'
>> A shared data centre, outside the centre of the city, used by several
>> research inistitutes and universities.
>> I have been involved in preparing bids for equipment there, including the
>> innovative eMedlab project.
>>

> Ugh. Can we please stop tacking 'as-a-service' on to everything these
> days? I'm starting to hate 'as-a-service' almost as much as 'cloud' and
> 'big data'. While I get the point he's trying to make. It's really just an
> off-site colocation facilty whose cost is shared between the different
> partner institutions.
>
> Prentice

--Nathan Pimental,
--Peppertree Labs (http://ptp.x10.mx)