[Beowulf] HPC in the cloud question

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon May 11 07:06:02 PDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 02:47 PM, John Hearns wrote:
> This article might be interesting:
>
> http://www.information-age.com/technology/data-centre-and-it-infrastructure/123459441/inside-uks-first-collaborative-data-centre
>
> As it says 'Data-centre-as-a-service'
> A shared data centre, outside the centre of the city, used by several
> research inistitutes and universities.
> I have been involved in preparing bids for equipment there, including
> the innovative eMedlab project.

Ugh. Can we please stop tacking 'as-a-service' on to everything these
days? I'm starting to hate 'as-a-service' almost as much as 'cloud' and
'big data'. While I get the point he's trying to make. It's really just
an off-site colocation facilty whose cost is shared between the
different partner institutions.

Prentice