[Beowulf] President Obama signs executive order for Exascale computer

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 30 16:26:40 PDT 2015

On 31/07/15 04:28, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> Yesterday President Obama signed an executive order to build an exascale
> computer in the next 10 years:

Interesting, I was under the impression that was already a target for
the US?   Or does this formalise it in some way?

Sadly what our pollies recently announced and claimed will be
Australia's fastest supercomputer (for our Bureau of Meteorology) will
initially be slower than the current fastest Australian Top500 machine
(owned by a private company) and only when finally expanded would it be
faster, assuming no other changes in the meantime.

cheers,
Chris