[Beowulf] Docker vs KVM paper by IBM

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 28 11:16:36 PST 2015

Didn't mean to upset you there, Ellis.  I'm talking about every other
discipline that isn't CSE.  I encourage researchers to NOT be their own
IT department, so that their time is freed up to do research.  Obviously
if your research IS the system, that is the exception.

On 02:08PM Wed 01/28/15 -0500, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
> On 01/28/2015 02:00 PM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> >Researchers do not want to be sysadmins, and if they do, they
> >aren't publishing.
>
> This statement is so infuriatingly incorrect I'm embarrassed to even be
> responding to it.
>
> You do remember this is the Beowulf list, originally comprised of
> researchers who decided to be their own sysadmins/hardware vendors/etc in
> order to get their research done, right?
>
> Even in today's mainly post-big-iron age, there are plenty of systems-level
> CS researchers (like I was not more than 6 months back) who ran their own
> clusters simply to get their work done.  No, I really don't feel like
> working with my IT staff every time I want to change the toolchain or
> recompile such-and-such magical cache replacement algorithm into this
> version of the kernel.  Imagine that.  I just want to do it.
>
> I have no doubt there are tons of point-and-click researchers out there who
> don't want to be sysadmins.  But making such broad strokes on this list is
> asking for flames.
>
> ellis

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania