[Beowulf] [OOM killer/scheduler] disabling swap on cluster nodes?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Feb 17 17:12:09 PST 2015

On 11/02/15 03:54, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:

> ​ Do you know if remote swap is working well now? I remember it working
> not so good because it's a difficult problem, but I haven't tested it
> lately.​

Swap over NFS was merged for the Linux 3.6 kernel after a a fair number
of revisions of the patch series called "Swap-over-NFS without deadlocking",
and looking at git once it was in there were further fixups over the next
year or so to fix up corner cases that could go nasty.

I *think* this was the last one posted before it was merged and has a
history of changes and description of what the patches do.

https://lwn.net/Articles/506527/

You can also do swap over NBD, that also needed a lot of careful work
to make it function without deadlocking, the patch in the mainline that
introduces the series is here (also mid 2012):

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=072bb0aa5e062902968c5c1007bba332c7820cf4

All the best,
Chris