[Beowulf] Haswell as supercomputer microprocessors

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Aug 5 07:38:09 PDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 08:50 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:
> On 05/08/15 00:52, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> Seriously? Why does IBM have to make everything so difficult?
> As I understand it Power BQC is the SoC (so CPU, networking, etc),
> whereas A2 is the CPU core & instruction set.  So it's a fair
> distinction (though one that is often glossed over in practice).
Okay. That makes perfect sense, but I will still argue that if that
correct, using that terminology in the Top500 list doesn't make sense.
An SoC is equivalent to a motherboard, but for regular Intel/AMD
systems, they list the processor model, not the motherboard, so to list
BQC instead of POWER A2 for the BG systems is inconsistent. As an
example, compare the Sequoia description from the Top500 list to
Stampede, which is just a regular x86 system:

*Sequoia*: BlueGene/Q, Power BQC 16C 1.60 GHz, Custom,
<http://top500.org/system/177556>
IBM

*Stampede*: PowerEdge C8220, Xeon E5-2680 8C 2.700GHz, Infiniband FDR,
Intel Xeon Phi SE10P, <http://top500.org/system/177931>
Dell

Prentice