[Beowulf] Paper describing Google's queuing system "Borg"

Adam DeConinck ajdecon at ajdecon.org
Tue Apr 21 07:11:10 PDT 2015

> Is Omega the successor?

John Wilkes from Google gave a presentation on Omega at Lisa '13 (video @
https://www.usenix.org/cluster-management-google).  If I recall correctly,
he says in the talk that Omega was developed as a potential successor to
their current cluster manager, but that they were still trialing the system
and hadn't decided yet whether to switch. Or something to that effect -- I
don't have time this morning to re-watch the video.

I haven't seen any publications which definitively say whether Google has
chosen to move to Omega yet, but then, there wouldn't be. ;-)

The Borg paper also says:

> This is quite similar in spirit to the optimistic concurrency control
used in Omega [69], and indeed we recently added the ability for Borg to
use different schedulers for different workload types. (pg 5, section 3.4)

My understanding of Omega is that its major new feature is the ability to
provide optimistic resource allocations to several different schedulers. So
I wonder if Google has simply decided to backport the new, desired features
of Omega back to Borg.