[Beowulf] InfiniBand channel bundling?

Gilad Shainer Shainer at Mellanox.com
Thu Oct 30 13:01:20 PDT 2014

If you compare QDR devices to FDR devices, than FDR is showing lower latency. What you might heard is that the FDR switches are slightly higher latency than the QDR switches as they include new capabilities of link level retransmission and forward error correction, but overall end to end latency with FDR is lower. The EDR switch latency is lower than the FDR switch and the QDR switch, so further latency decrease will be seen with EDR.

Regards,
Gilad Shainer

-----Original Message-----
From: Beowulf [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Prentice Bisbal
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:49 AM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] InfiniBand channel bundling?

Gilad,

If end-to-end is lower for FDR, then what latency is being measured for FDR that is higher than for QDR? According to Wikipedia, and the Mellanox website, FDR does have a better latency than QDR (0.7 microseconds vs. 1.3 microseconds), but I and others on this list have heard that FDR has worse latency than QDR. Have we been misinformed, or does it depend on how you measure or define latency?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfiniBand
http://www.mellanox.com/page/performance_infiniband

Prentice

On 10/29/2014 06:46 PM, Gilad Shainer wrote:
> End-to-end FDR latency is lower than end-to-end QDR latency - per published measurments that can be found in multiple places.
>
> Gilad

Prentice Bisbal
Manager of Information Technology
Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) Rutgers University http://rdi2.rutgers.edu