[Beowulf] Nvidia and IBM create GPU interconnect for faster supercomputing

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 27 07:43:57 PDT 2014

On 03/25/2014 07:25 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> Sounds like a memory coherent 80GB/sec link:
> nah.
> http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Launches-World-s-First-High-Speed-GPU-Interconnect-Helping-Pave-the-Way-to-Exascale-Computin-ad6.aspx
> shows only gpu-gpu links (just like SLI).

I think that picture is incorrect. It shows NVlink only between the
GPUS, but the text accompanying it states

"plans to integrate a high-speed interconnect, called NVIDIA® NVLink™,
into its future GPUs, enabling GPUs and CPUs to share data five to 12
times faster than they can today."

This is in disagreement with the illustration. I think someone included
the wrong illustration by accident, or drew it wrong. Is there anyone
from NVidia on this list that can provide clarity here?