[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Matt Wallis mattw at madmonks.org
Tue Jul 1 00:03:06 PDT 2014

On 1 Jul 2014, at 4:36 pm, Olli-Pekka Lehto <olli-pekka.lehto at csc.fi> wrote:

> On a sidenote, EasyBuild was mentioned here earlier and it seems that they
> have IMO right idea of simplifying installs of the type of environment that Chris
> was describing and many (including us) seem to hold as best practice. Just heard
> about it at ISC and haven’t had the chance to test it in practice yet, though.

We tried EasyBuild a couple of years ago and found it failed to build it's own example,
haven't had a chance to go back and look at it again.

Speaking of modules though, has anyone not been put off enough by lua to use Lmod?
I'm thinking of setting up a build environment with it because Environment Modules
seems to have been slow to update to newer versions of TCL, and they don't appear to
be actively maintained. Last release in 2010.

Matt.