[Beowulf] Mutiple IB networks in one cluster

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 31 08:27:21 PST 2014

Alex,

On 01/30/2014 07:15 PM, Alex Chekholko wrote:
> Hi Prentice,
>
> Today, IB probably means Mellanox, so why not get their pre-sales
> engineer to draw you up a fabric configuration for your intended use
> case?

Because I've learned that sales people will tell you anything is
possible with their equipment if it means a sale.
I posted my question to this list instead of talking to Mellanox
specifically to get real-world, unbiased information.

> Certainly you can have a fabric where each host has two links, and
> then you segregate the different types of traffic on the different
> links.  But what would that accomplish if they're using the same
> fabric?

Doesn't IB use cross-bar switches? If so, the bandwidth between one pair
of communicating hosts should not be affected by communication between
another pair of communicating hosts.

> Certainly you can have totally separate fabrics and each host could
> have links to one or more of those.
>
> If this was Ethernet, you'd comparing separate networks vs multiple
> interfaces on the same network vs bonded interfaces on the same
> network.  Not all the concepts translate directly, the main one being
> the default network layout, Mellanox will suggest a strict fat tree.
>
> Furthermore, your question really just comes down to performance.
> Leave IB out of it.  You're asking: is an interconnect with such and
> such throughput and latency sufficient for my heterogeneous workload
> comprised of bulk data transfers and small messages.  Only you can
> answer that.

This question does not "come down to performance", and this question is
specifically about IB, so there's no way to leave IB out of it.

This is really a business/economics question as much as it's about
performance: Is it possible to saturate FDR IB, and if so, how often
does it happen? How much will it cost for a larger or second IB switch
and double the number of cables to make this happen? And how hard will
it be to set up? Will the increased TCO be justified increase in
performance? How can I measure the increase in performance? How can I
measure, in real-time, the load on my IB fabric, and collect that data
to see if the investment paid off?

Also, the cliche statement "It depends on your application" doesn't
apply here. This cluster will be available to everyone in a large
university. I can't predict what will run on it on day 1 or 2 years down
the road do the the large, diverse user base, and since there hasn't
been much of an HPC presence here in the past, there's not a lot of
historical data to review.

Prentice