[Beowulf] Putting /home on Lusture of GPFS

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Dec 24 07:39:46 PST 2014

On 12/23/2014 01:35 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> I've always shied away from gpfs/lustre on /home and favoured netapp's
> for one simple reason.  snapshots.  i can't tell you home many times
> people have "accidentally" deleted a file.
We used a NetApp at my last employer for everything (/home, /usr/local,
etc.) and everything used it (desktops, servers, the cluster), and the
snapshot feature was priceless. Many users liked being able to replace a
file that they accidentally deleted themselves. My inclination is
towards GPFS for this reason instead of Lustre, since GPFS supports
snapshotting (and a few other useful features that Lustre doesn't
provide yet).