[Beowulf] Open source and the Draft Report of the Task Force on High Performance Computing

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Thu Aug 28 05:46:21 PDT 2014

On 08/28/2014 08:26 AM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> So, the Linux kernel and supporting tools that make the operating system aren't
> being factored in here?  The compiler?  The libraries?  If "very little open
> source" has "made its way into broad use within HPC," what OS are the majority
> running if not Linux?  This seem to be greatly uninformed, or pushing an
> agenda.  The only way I can see this excerpt as even remotely true would be if
> you applied a very narrow survey to a specific application set.  But that
> narrow view does not apply to a full operational stack or all of HPC in
> general!  I'm baffled, because this does not jive with my lay of the land.

Couldn't agree more.  An incredibly boring read to boot.

"Dr. Moniz requested that the Task Force look at the problems and
opportunities that will drive the need for next generation high
performance computing (HPC), what will be required to execute a
successful path to deliver next generation leading edge HPC..."

Apparently means, "Please deliver a report with as many hype words as
possible, with little connection to how HPC is actually done, and
conclude with how bielleons of dollars need invested to make all of this
hype possible!  And in looking way into the future, don't lose sight of
our good friends in Oil & Gas.  They'll need at least a page about them!
  Photovoltaics?  Eh.  A paragraph should suffice."

Reads like a grant to me!

ellis